Err, what is so horrible about this? All Gregory is saying is that by appearing on the show, Sanford gets to take control of the story somewhat, framing it the way he wants rather than allowing others to dictate the debate. He's also saying that by doing Meet the Press, Sanford can effectively bury the issue, saying he has already done one interview on it and he is no longer addressing the subject. In both instances, Gregory makes a fair point, plus he takes a shot at landing a high profile guest for the show. It's not a bad pitch.
People shouldn't get to decide what they are going to talk about before an interview...That is why John Stewart's interview of Jim Cramer and Katie Couric's of Sarah Palin got so much coverage. For once those giving the interviews didn't completely pull their punches. I know you've talked about this before, but the problem of selective access has really crippled the ability of the media to get the proper story out of public officials.
I get that you sometimes do what you have to to land an interview -- meaning as long as you don't misrepresent yourself, there's nothing technically wrong with a little seduction. But if I were Gregory I'd step especially lightly, given the reputation of MTP. What he said isn't something that should need to be said. He's not required to cajole political figures in any way by virtue of the profile of the show he hosts; and I'd be very, very careful about the perception of sullying that show's (somewhat unfairly) hallowed image. Gregory needs to make it clear that the story is going to be done regadless, whether Sanford wants to come on and comment or not. The fact that Gregory's willing to go to "questionable" lengths to try to get the interview seems to prove that he's more interested in good TV and ratings than he is in good journalism.
This went up on DKos -- Gregory got miffed and wrote a response. He meant to say that he was offering Sanford the chance "to discuss the situation in a fullsome (sic) way." Fulsome? I think we got the message on the first go round ...
Maybe Gregory is both a talking head and a 13th century linguist, and is simply using fulsome in its original meaning of "robust" and "copious", rather than the more gluttonous, ostentatious manner us latter day peons define it?No?Ok.
My Sunday morning ritual used to be CBS Sunday Morning then Meet the Press. I just can't watch this tool. Now that Osgood's getting longer in the tooth I'm not sure about the former anymore either.
Dear God, the man looks like an ape and has considerably less brain power than the average ape as well. reminds me of an insult one of my mother's students once threw at a kid he despised: "Shut your mouth, you white retarded ape!"
This Gregory fella is a far left liberal clown. Watch FOX News on Sunday mornings and you'll get fair and balanced questions and honest answers. My hope is that the honorable governor from South Carolina will get all of FOX's Sunday morning to tell his story. You won't get it on CNNCBSABCNBCPMSNBC. Look at how the Mainstream Media is pushing this Socialistic Healthcare plan. It's funny to see it fail because we thankfully have talk radio and FOX News telling the public the truth about how Nationalized Healthcare will wreck our already-damaged economy created by Hussein Obama. If you look through all of my comments, you will see that I'm right. I told everyone here that Obama's numbers are thankfully going down and looky-here: I'm right! Oh, they'll keep plunging to record levels. Next year, we will see a bloodbath in the elections with a 90 percent Republican takeover of Congress. The remaining 10 percent will be the naive Blue Dogs from the South. The Godless loser Dems are going to be the biggest minority in their entire history. Wiccan Pelosi will ride back to the Left Coast on her broom - never to be seen again!!!!! God willing, we will see John Ashcroft, Richard Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Rick Santorum and Sonny Bono return to the political stage and bring real conservative values with them. God Bless, BOW.
Well, to see Sonny Bono return to the political stage, dumbass, we'd have to dig his sorry carcass up (we should only be so unlucky the same fate hasn't already befallen Cheney, Ashcroft, and Rumsfeld). Bill White... nice name for a troll...
Post a Comment